Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Ziplining, Snorkling, Hiking...and a Hurricane?

Greetings From Dominica
I am safe, my prayers go out to all those affected by Hurricane Erika. 


It was literally non-stop action from the time my brother and sister arrived to when they left. The evening of their arrival we dined at Sunset Bay with friends; their lobster and mussels were amazing! The next day we had a tour guide that showed us around the island and showed us major landmarks such as the capital, Roseau, Scottshead, the Botanical Gardens, and Trafalgar Falls. We literally had to climb over massive rocks to get to the waterfall, but it was so worth it, we got to stand underneath it! While they were here I celebrated my 26th birthday and my birthday wish was granted....ziplining! The hurricane arrived during the night and we didn't realize the extent of the damage until the next day. All the phones and wifi went down over the entire island, we could not reach loved one's back home. My brother had to swear into the Coast Gaurd and my sister began grad school the following week, the airport was completely destroyed. Their resolution? They hopped on 2 ferry's, made it over to another island with an international airport and made it home in time to do both! I was amazed, that definitely takes spunk! It is a vacation that I will never forget and I'm sure they won't either. Hopefully, my older brother can visit before my time here is up, the island is beautiful!